Monday, May 21, 2007

But Sir, I Must Maintain My Sexy

While I did want to visit my good friend, Anita (someone who was really there for me even after our awkward high school "falling out"), my other reason for going to the other side of the country was for a personal awakening.

It's a journey, really. I'm a journalist working as a Web master-slash-marketing coordinator-slash-graphic designer-slash-advertising assistant-slash ... I can consider myself (still) a writer because I freelance for MSN and AOL. I write about education and careers -- about how one can "succeed" at those two ventures. And I just laugh -- I'm telling people how to achieve great things when I, myself, haven't even reached my dream.

So what is my ultimate goal, you ask? I don't know. So in hoping to land something (something I love, that is) soon, I stew in the meantime.

And I just think to myself, maybe getting far away from it all (even if it's just LA for the weekend) will evoke something in me, maybe I'll get clarity, maybe it'll ignite a change, or maybe I'll just have some fun.

Well I'm back in Jersey now. And while I did have fun over the weekend -- drinking, shopping, socializing, sightseeing -- clarity was not had, change was not ignited, nothing was evoked. I did, however, perfect the formal search procedure at the airport. Why am I always flagged? They even dusted some weird solution on my Chucks, and threatened to confiscate my Proactiv! And to that, I replied, "But sir, I must maintain my sexy." That got a laugh, and they let me keep my three-step face regimen.

No comments: